Thursday, 22 November 2007

Part IV project - Graphical display for Trees and Graphs for Bioinformatics Software

I found my year IV project final report online. I looked through it, and it's very funny. As usual, my project partner implemented the back end C++ logic - decoding a strange string into a tree, and I do the front end GUI.

The hardest part was drawing tree correctly on the screen. Branch lengths have to visually tell the distant between the nodes. It requires quite a bit of Maths to calculate the drawing branch length, and have to fit them all on the screen. It was also quite interesting implementing tree traversal, i.e. moving up (towards the root) and down (towards the bottom). 

Anyway, if anyone interested, here's the link:

http://www.ece.auckland.ac.nz/~PIVprojects/archive/reports2004/pdfs/ccho096.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment